Thursday, May 1, 2008

Impressing dudes


So, last weekend I did some trail building out by my apartment. It wasnt too big a deal, you know I raked all of the leaves from the past fall and winter off of an already established trail and chopped dead fall that was hung up and too tall to hop over with a bike. I saw this cool rock on the side of the trail that was tallish on the up hill side and then just sloped into the hill it was on. You can see in in the picture to the left. Well I decided I needed to make a new trail that could utilize this cool natural feature. I spent all Saturday and most of Sunday building this trail that takes off from the already established trail. I made a jump out of fallen logs in a way that the landing was this cool rock. I dug other rocks out of the ground and made an "artificial" rock garden and then I chopped a large fallen tree into a 30 foot length and flattened the top and made a log ride/jump/drop.

The finished product turned into a decently fast run with some quick turns at the beginning and then this rock jump, the rock garden, a really quick fun turn that you can see to the right (it is fun doing it without braking, shows you what you are made of :) ), and ending with the log ride.

Well today I was out sessioning (just riding down and then walking up and riding down again) this trail. It was a nice day in State College so everyone was out biking. I saw these two guys riding XC and they seemed kinda curious about the guy in the full face helmet rippin down the trails. So the stopped by the rock jump to watch me hit it. Well I nailed it, I mean I really pinned it, probably the best set-up and landing I have made on that jump yet. I finished up the run and as I was walking back up they stopped to talk to me and said that I had a cool trail and that it was cool watching me hit that jump. Now I am mostly a solitary rider, I find that no one pushes me hard to do better than myself so I prefer to ride alone, which works since all my biking buddies are 45 minutes away (and I cant afford that much gas). So it was nice to get this validation from two fellow shredders. I hope you enjoyed my first post. I will probably post about my steeds (my bikes) later, they are # 2 and 3 in my life! Peace.

1 comment:

Beth said...

maybe you should post a glossary of biking terms--fellow shredders?