Friday, September 19, 2008

Fixed Gear Biking

I just bought a new bike, for commuting. It is a Tommaso Agusta Track bike. It is really light and looks awesome (at least I think so). The only hitch is that it is a fixed gear which means that rather than having a freewheel hub like a normal bike (a freeweel makes it possible to not move your legs but still be going forward, in other words to just coast) it has a fixed gear. This makes riding it a little different than other bikes because A) your legs get no break from spinning B) there are no brakes, you slow by slowing the candace of your legs and C) it only has 1 gear. I am really looking forward to commuting with it and thereby saving some gas and also staying in shape but being only about 20 minutes out from my first actual ride, I am a bit nervous.... I cant wait. Hopefuly I will post a post ride report later today. Please, wish me luck :)

1 comment:

Beth said...

good luck! I am sure you will conquer the challenge in short time.